DMCA PROTECTED AND MONITORED

© COPYRIGHT – ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This site is protected and monitored by DMCA.COM - ANY UNAUTHORIZED Reproduction, Duplication, Distribution of any kind is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All original content is created by the website owner, Barron Shepherd, including but not limited to text, design, code, images, photographs and videos are considered to be the Intellectual Property of the website owner, Barron Shepherd, whether copyrighted or not, and are protected by DMCA Protection Services using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Title 17 Chapter 512 (c)(3). Direct linking, reproduction or re-publication of this content is prohibited without permission. Under 17 U.S.C section 101 et seq. those who violate the DMCA could be liable for statutory damages as high as 150,000.00 as set forth in section 504(c)(2) therein.

Friday, October 30, 2009

JUDO: Body weight workouts and the late Woody Strode

The Body weight exercises have left me sore but I was up again this morning and knocking out more Hindu Squats along with other body weight exercises. I used these exercises to help get back in shape after an illness I suffered from a couple of years ago. (A story I will share at a later time) I have also started a push up training program which I have incorporated into my work out. There is nothing like bodyweight exercises to boost confidence, motivation, and improve athleticism.

A proponent of body weight exercise was athlete turned actor, Woody Strode, who was a top-notch decathlete and a football star at UCLA. During his time in high school/junior college Strode began doing pushups, knee squats, and situps daily. Strode worked up to 1000 reps of each exercise. The situps and squats were done continuously and the pushups were done in sets of 100 and was done everyday, that would take an incredible level of concentration. He tapered back his workouts as he got older, although 500 pushups a day for the most part is not tapering back, but he continued to train hard the rest of his life.

"I’m an old man, but life will never make an old man out of me. As long as you look like you can run on Santa Anita’s race track, even if you take last, you’ve still made the field. People see that horse and wonder what it is doing out there. They don’t know its 100 years old. Well, this is how nature has left me, so it is good." - Woody Strode

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but
after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing
all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say
superb blog!

Also visit my weblog; workouts to improve vertical jump